Singing Section: Rules
Please also see the General Regulations.
- Credit will be given for choice of repertoire, presentation, dress and deportment. No Jeans or Trainers please.
- No Costume allowed unless otherwise stated. Props are not allowed (note: a chair is not regarded as a prop).
Use of copies
- Solo Singers are expected to memorise their songs except in Bach or Oratorio classes (Classes 2204, 2220, 2224) or in Class 2284 (Veterans age 70 and over), when copies can be used
- Choirs competing in classes 2372, 2373, 2374 and 2377 are permitted to use copies if necessary. Other choirs should sing from memory.
Set Songs and Own Choice pieces
- Set songs must be sung in the edition shown in the Syllabus. Anyone unable to obtain music for the set songs should contact the General Secretary.
- The same song may not be sung in different classes by the same performer, unless specifically stated in the syllabus
- For "Own Choice" pieces. Sutability must be considered with regard to age group. "Adult" or offensive material is not acceptable and the Adjudicators will be advised to take this into account when marking. They will also have authority to stop any performance at their discretion which would lead to disqualification.
- In Junior singing classes (age under 18) set pieces or own choices may be sung in any key, and transpositions are allowed.
- All singing classes to be accompanied by the piano unless otherwise stated. Please refer to the regulations regarding accompanists.
Silver Medal eligibility
- A winner of a Bronze Medal may enter for the Silver Medal in subsequent years, even if under 15 years old.
Non-transferable entries and substitutes
- Teachers please note: Solo entries are not transferable, although substitutes are permitted in duet, trio and ensemble classes
- Enter three solo singing classes and get a Folk Song entry free (note: the free class will not count towards any other offer)
NB. Set Songs for John Lockey Championship Classes 2140 -2160 available from www.boosey.com/shop or 01619469335